Lottery jackpots present lottery retailers with excellent opportunities. This is especially true jackpots which pass a psychological level. This level depends on the area.
In my own retail experience, $30 million is the magic number. If any lottery game is offering a prize above $30 million in my stores then sales will grow. In some locations I have seen the magic level kick it at $100 million or more.
Work out your number, the jackpot point at which you know you will see easy double digit sales growth over the previous week. If you know this for your lottery outlet you can better plan your marketing.
Here are some tips on how to leverage this lottery jackpot traffic:
Place high impulse and keenly priced product offers in dump bins on the approach to the lottery counters.
- Give every lottery customer coupon offering a discount or some other value proposition should they visit and purchase again within a specified period.
- Offer employees a reward for achieving a decent week on week increase in ticket sales for the jackpot game. While you will need to set the goal with your team, a 50% target is a reasonable step.
- Place one impulse purchase at the lottery counter, something which does not need to be considered for too long. An easy to value item.
- Place a pricelist for the jackpot game at every register point in the store but leave off the lowest value quick picks – start close to $10.00.
- Promote the jackpot at other non lottery high traffic areas in your store or at your kiosk. For example, place bookmarks in top selling items.
- Wear a cap promoting the jackpot.
- Wear a badge promoting the jackpot.
- Get your major product suppliers to give you samples. If you sell candy, get candy samples to give away. If you sell magazines, get magazine samples to give away. Use these to boost goodwill and separate your lottery outlet from other lottery retailers.
- Create a CD with luck themed tunes and have this playing on repeat – you want upbeat positive tunes to create excitement for the big draw.
- If you are in a high street retail situation, use chalk to write on the pavement outside the store, promoting the jackpot.
- Create hand written signs for the window promoting the jackpot – these should present an urgency to the offer.